Tuesday, December 15, 2009

closer

One of my favorite all times tunes is Nine Inch Nails' song Closer. The beauty of an anonymous blog is that I can admit that and not be shamed what my professional colleagues would think of me. The lyrics are not for the prudish of heart.

There is a point.

I just got word that something is happening and will be announced soon at the BTOP administrator's factory.

I did confirm from my BIP contact that she knew nothing of an announcement today or tomorrow from BIP though she did AGAIN assure my clients that have not gotten due diligence 2nd review communication that RUS is still issuing them on an ongoing basis.

Now, the revelation that allegedly (according to the cryptic messages I get from my source) BTOP will be making an announcement soon is baffling because I would assume that they would make the announcement of first awards together given the two agencies started this journey TOGETHER at the early part of the year when the ARRA bill was signed.

You see early on, I was told by both my BTOP and BIP source that both agencies were working together, in unison and were indeed sharing information. You see THE REASON I pressed for answers was that I was concerned that the original rules and NOFA said that BTOP would only consider an applicant passed up by BIP. So I wondered if a BIP/BTOP applicant is selected by BTOP does that mean BIP passed on the applicant? Also, with both agencies proceeding jointly using different criteria and methods of analyzing applicants, how does one hand know what the other is doing? I did not have confidence that the process was linear nor fluid. Oh ME of little Faith.

She assured me all was well. The two agencies had weekly meetings to ensure they were on the same page, she said. No worries.

and then I heard from the rumor mill that ALL WAS NOT WELL. That RUS which had been used to administering these types of grants and loans for other programs for decades did not like the fact that the new kid on the government funding block was so Green and not making it (RUS) look good with its Trials and Error method of administrating the BTOP program. And in all honesty, you could hear the arrogance of Administrator Adelstein's voice as he replied to most questions during the various oversight hearings by announcing all of the wonderful ways that RUS has helped the US economy via the smart way it was administering the Farm Bill and other grant and loan programs. He might as well have said, "I don't know about these clowns, but we know what we're doing."

A divorce was eminent I was told by industry insiders.

The naysayers disagreed. It was too far along in their marriage, they said. A divorce for round 1 is not possible, the unconvinced rebuked.

....FAST FORWARD to TODAY

But here we have it on this 15th day of December, nearly 1/2 way through the last month of the year and nearly four months since the applications were turned in and a couple of months past the original thought time frame for issuing award announcement -- the news that BTOP on its own and separate from BIP would be making an announcement as early as today.

Hmm. If this rumor does in fact come into fruition, did BTOP share it with RUS or the awardees even?

Interesting evolution of events wouldn't you say?

We are CLOSER.

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog. Thanks for the update. "Closer" was a great choice for this. (and one of my favs, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - do you know if applicants are being notified directly by NTIA that they have won a grant ? Or will the NTIA press release be first time applicants are made aware of grant award..
    thanks,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks much, Michael. It is a nice spot to ramble, yes?

    Billbroadband, I am not certain. I would hope so, but as you probably know, this entire process has not been the most efficient, transparent or clear. So....

    Thanks for commenting guys. I was beginning to get a complex. I jest.

    ReplyDelete