Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Speechless

I am going to reserve judgment on yesterday's announcement of the latest mapping grants.

I am not even going to comment on the fact that some states' maps will be created by a "non profit" organization (with major industry board members) that lobbied states to become their designated mapping grant designee using "seed" capital partially funded by the very same industry incumbents that decided not to apply for grants themselves but are equally NOT interested in having the government subsidize their competitors with grant/loans, enabling these new entrants to provide service to the very same areas that these incumbents claim they are already serving, and by "serving" that is if you mean the incumbents can, if they wanted to, go in and actually build the capacity for all the residents in the area to actually receive broadband access if and when they wanted but are not, well not today anyway because it doesn't make economic sense to right now, as in a "I don't want to play ball, but I am going to take my ball and go home so you can't play either" sort of way...

I won't even say a word about the fact that unless the criteria by which these states determine who is served and unserved is changed radically (read: abandon some or all of the definitions), those same states will end up with horribly skewed inaccurate maps of broadband availability and will end up wasting a bunch of the tax payer's money and make the NTIA look bad in the process for funding it in the first place especially when it should have known better as all the signs pointed to the fact that it all was a BAD BAD IDEA!

Nope. I will keep my judgments to myself for once.


2 comments: